It is a well known fact that the environmental conditions of outer space are completely different from that of our planet. This is why durable materials such as steel are used to construct all tools and machinery that are used in outer space.
From space exploratory probes to the tiniest component of a space station, you will find steel everywhere. The reason behind this is that steel is capable of enduring high pressure and temperature and is least susceptible to corrosion as compared to other materials. It is thus, due to the utilization of steel and other metals, that space travel has become possible for humankind.
The Utilization of Steel in the Aerospace Industry
There are various components that are made out of steel in the aerospace industry. Steel is the choice of manufacturers in this regard since it is capable of withstanding very high temperatures and pressure changes which will melt other metals.
The following gives you a precise idea about the uses of steel in the aerospace industry.
- Steel is used to create components such as jet engines which provide power to rockets and spacecrafts.
- Given the durability of this metal, steel is also used to construct airframes.
- Numerous alloys can be made with steel that enhance its properties.
- The fuel tanks of space rockets are made out of steel. This is so because it does not react chemically with the fuel stored in the tanks.
- The most crucial component that plays a pivotal role in maintaining the lifespan of the space rocket and also, the lives of the crew; is the heat shield. Made out of solid steel, this heat shield is responsible for tackling the aggressive thermal and pressure changes that the rocket experiences while traversing different layers of the atmosphere.
With so many uses, steel is the best material for vehicular construction in the aerospace industry. See the wikipedia article for more information regarding aerospace: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerospace